Constructed during the reign of King Louis XIV, the 'Sun King'.
According to the archives of the region, this chartreuse dates back to around 1680 and was originally built as a gentleman's hunting lodge.
Owned in 1701 by the Le Marquis de Fleurac, seigneur de Rouffignac, it became an ironmaster's workshop around 1730 producing huge iron cauldrons for sugar reduction in the French Caribbean and cannons for Napoléon's army.
The Lake abutting the Forge is a reservoir created to provide the ironworks with a reliable source of water.
By the end of the 19th Century, La Forge had ceased to manufacture iron.
The Forge is today considered to be the most important building of it's kind in the whole of the Périgord region.